twitterfacebookrss feedemail



Wednesday, April 13, 2011

VERBS


Dignen (1999:16) writes" verbs are words that tell us what a person is DOING or FEELING or who a person IS.

Feelings
Use verbs like be, feel and seem to show how you feel and who you are.
e.g ; I feel so bad, I am upset, Her name is Tika.

Action words

Our actions are what we do.
e.g ; I play football, i kicked him, we broke their glass.

Action or Thing?
An action is a verb. But sometimes it looks like a noun in a sentence. It is a gerund.
e.g ; Smoking is bad for you, Jogging is good for you.

am,is,are: Present Simple tense of verb to be

FORM :
Positive ; I am, you are, she is, he is, it is, we are, they are.
Negative ; I am not, you are not, she is not, he is not, it is not, we are not,
they are not.
Question ; Am I...? Are you...? Is she...? Is he...? Is it...? Are we...?
Are they...?

Exercise 1
Please complete the sentences with am, is or are

1. It ... a pen.
2. We ... not a students.
3. How ... you today ?
4. The book ... here.
5. The books ... on the table.
6. ... I right ?
7. ... English very hard ?
8. ... she a lawyer ?
9. My father and I ... watching the movie.
10. I ... not a good student.

has, have got

FORM
Positive ; I/you/we/they + have got = I've got, you've got, we've got, they've got.
she/he/it + has got = She's got, he's got, it's got.
Negative ; I/you/we/they + have not/haven't + got = I haven't got, and so on.
she/he/it + has not/hasn't + got = She hasn't got, and so on.
Question ; Have + I/you/we/they + got.. + ? = Have you got.. ?
Has + she/he/it + got.. + ? = Has she got.. ?
Answer ; Yes/no + I/you/we/they + have/haven't = Yes,i have, No,I haven't.
Yes/no + She/he/it + has/hasn't = Yes,he has, No,it hasn't.

USE
* Possession:
She's got many friends.
Have you heard about him ?
They've got many balls.
She hasn't got many friends.

* Illnesses:
I've got a headache.
Have they got a stomachache ?

* Descriptions:
She's got black hair, blue eyes and a long nose.

Note* : We can also use have for possession:
They have a beautiful dress.
Do you have a job?
I don't have enough money.

But in British English have got is more common than have for possession.

Exercise 2
Complete the sentences with has or have got (use the short forms)
1. He ... a luxury car.
2. They ... two houses.
3. I ... brown eyes.
4. Mr.Galih ... a handsome face.
5. We ... a lot of problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment